shall 用作情态动词时,适用于第二人称和第三人称。
主要表示下面几层意思:
1)许诺
You shall hear everything directly you come .你一来就可以听到一切了。
"Whatever you want you shall have , "said the Fairy .
仙女说:"你想得到什么,你就可以有什么。"
I don't want to be hard on your daughter ; she shan't be pressed .
我不想对你女儿太严厉,她不会太受压的。
I promise that you shall see her again before long .
我保证你不久就能再见到她。
2)命令
You shall come to my office immediately .你必须马上来我的办公室。
She shall not stay in my garden .她不可以呆在我的花园里。
He shall not come into my study . 不许他进我的书房。
You shall do as you are told .按告诉你的那么做。
3)决心(表示某事一定会发生)
That day shall come .那一天一定会到来。
It has been decided that he shall be given the job .
肯定给他那份工作的事已经定下来了。
This law shall come into effect on January 1st 2001
这个法律于2001年元月1日生效。
4)规定
Each competitor shall wear a number .每个参赛者要佩戴一个数字标。
The renter shall keep the house in a neat and orderly state .
租赁者要保持房屋整洁有序。
The supplier shall make shipment before October and the purchaser shall make payment within 15 days after
receipt of the goods .卖方十月以前装运,买方在收到货物后十五天内付款。
should (用作情态动词时,有时表示具体的意思,有时却没有意义。主要用于下面几个方面。)
1)表示出于职责、义务该做某事
You shouldn't come to such a decision hastily .
你不应该匆匆忙忙地作出这么一个决定。
You should write to your parents at least once a month .
你应该至少每月给你父母亲写一封信。
We should read English aloud every morning .
我们应该每天早晨朗读英文。
They should do it for their own good .
为了他们自己利益他们应该做这件事。
2)表示对某种情况的估计
She shouldn't be out in such an early morning .
她不会这么一大早就出去了吧。
The effect of the tax should be felt in higher prices .
人们可能会从各种上涨的物价中感觉到这种税的影响的。
The event should lead them to a even worse economic crisis.这次事件可能会将他们引向更严重的经济危机。
This book should be published in two months at most .
这本书最多两个月后就会出版的。
3)表示惊讶、失望等情绪
I think it is dreadful that anyone should be so miserable.
我认为,竟然每个人都如此伤心就太糟糕了。
Why should I pay him for nothing ? 我干吗要无为地付给他钱?
It seems so unfair that this should happen to me .
这件事竟然发生在我身上似乎太不公平了。
It's strange that it should be so cold today .奇怪,今天怎么会这么冷。
4)用于某些从句中表示虚拟语气
The doctor insisted that the girl should be hospitalized .
大夫坚持认为那个女孩要住院治疗。
If it had not been for the doctor's care the girl should not be speaking to you now .要不是由于大夫的精心照料,这个女孩现在就不能与你说话了。
She stood away so that he should enter the room first .
她让到一边,好让他第一个进入房间。
I'll write it down lest I should forget it 我将它记下以免遗忘。
Take an umbrella with you in case it should rain .
带上雨伞,以防万一下雨。
|